Labels

Followers

What's for dinner? Cast iron cooked steak!

Posted by The Andersons Thursday, June 14, 2012
In this economy and with me being a stay at home mom, having a restaurant quality meal isn't always an option, but last night...WHOA NELLIE! We bought pork steaks for $4.70 for 4 huge cuts. This is a great alternative to beef when things get pricey in the meat department. :) Unfortunately, we are all out of charcoal, but in this heat, sometimes that is a blessing! I dug around online for a new way to cook it up and found the idea of cooking a steak in my cast iron skillet. Here is how it goes!

Set your steak so that it gets to room temperature. I went ahead and had my cast iron skillet on the stove with the heat on high. The trick is to make sure your skillet is super hot. While that was heating up, I lightly covered the steaks in oil on both sides, then added my favorite seasonings. I threw on some salt, pepper, garlic seasoning and onion seasoning. The original recipe called for keeping the steak in the skillet once you put it in the oven BUT I had four steaks and one skillet. I got out one of my Pampered Chef Stoneware dishes and put that in the oven at 400 degrees so that it might be similar to the skillet and it's heat.


Once you are ready, put one steak in the skillet and leave for 1-2 minutes. I peeked to check to see when it was browned to my liking. Once it has a beautiful brown coloring, flip it and do the other side. Repeat with all of your steaks. As they cooked like this, I added them on a plate. It's a pretty quick process. Once they were done "frying", I put the steaks into the hot stone dish with a pat of butter on each one. Leave in the oven until cooked through!

As you can see, I served it up with a side of green beans, garlic mashed potatoes and some good ole cornbread. Dessert? Brownies made from cake mix! Check us out for that recipe next time.

P.S. Remind me to get better at taking food pictures!

0 Responses to What's for dinner? Cast iron cooked steak!

Post a Comment